SiMPTI (Standards in Music Production Technology & Industry) is a programme designed and delivered by Sound Gallery CIC with an aim to provide work-based training in the context of a commercial recording studio.
This work experience programme provides a unique, 'behind the scenes' insight into a creative team at work and is ideal for those who seek to gain real life experiences in a professional recording studio, get hands-on experience in all the latest music technology software and hardware and get advice when choosing a career as a professional musician or technician. Visit the website to find out more: http://www.simpti.com
Suitable for: GCSE, A-Level and BTech students (14-18 years) who wish to undertake their work experience in a recording studio and are interested in pursuing a career in the music industry.
Sound Gallery's work experience programme is especially designed by our team of professional musicians and educators to provide a high quality experience in the workplace. This structured work experience programme is designed and run by social enterprise Sound Gallery CIC and it takes place at Sound Gallery Studios at Exeter Phoenix in the cultural heart of the city.
Examples of activities:
- Studio induction, health and safety. Introduction to organisation's facilities and services.
- Recording studio experience and micing techniques session
- Observation of recording and mixing sessions
- Setting-up rehearsal rooms and live room for recording sessions
- Music industry advice sessions on how to sustain a career in the music industry in association with Integrity Records
- Music technology session (Logic, Ableton Live, Reason)
- Social media and promotion tips for the modern musician
- Careers advice and guidance
Work experience weeks 2019-2020 TBC
Duration: Monday to Friday
Cost: £200 per person
Location: Sound Gallery Studios, Exeter phoenix, Gandy street, Exeter, EX4 3LS
Sound Gallery CIC is a social enterprise and has a full complement of policies and procedures covering all aspects of our work, including Public liability insurance, Employer liability insurance, Child Protection Policy, Health and Safety, Quality Assurance, Equal Opportunities, Confidentiality and Data protection policies. Sound Gallery's work experience programme is approved by the Devon Education Business Partnership scheme.
Due to the significant time demands work experience can place on a small staff team and a not for profit organisation such as ours, we have found it necessary to charge a small fee to cover administration, training and supervision costs (£200 per person/per week). Sound Gallery's profits are invested in our programmes for young people who are at risk of social exclusion.
- Increased confidence and self-esteem
- Development of technical skills and awareness of the music industry
- Development of knowledge of employment routes in the music industry
- Benefit from real life experiences and learning from professional sound engineers and producers
- The opportunity to put skills into practise and keep up to date with all the latest music technology
- Networking opportunities and useful contacts in the music industry
- Information and advice needed to pursue a career in the music industry
- Exclusive access to new product demos, special offers and educational discounts (where available)
- Access to state of the art facilities and music industry events with inspirational speakers and music industry experts
- Discounts on recording sessions, rehearsals and music technology courses at Sound Gallery Studios
- Volunteering opportunities at Sound Gallery events
Schools and colleges that have participated in SiMPTI over the past 7 years include:
Exeter College, West-Exe Technology College, ISCA College, St Peter’s School (Exeter), St James School (Exeter), Colyton Grammar school, Tiverton High school, The Kings School (Ottery St Mary), Okehampton College, Honiton Community College, Kind Edward Community College (Totnes), South Dartmoor Community College, Plymouth College, Sidmouth College, Queen Elizabeth’s Academy Trust (Crediton), Harwich & Dovercourt High School (Essex), Malborough College (Wiltshire), Courtfields Community School (Somerset), Academy of Music & Sound (Exeter), dbS Music (Plymouth), Newton Abbot College, Beaminster School (Dorset), Queens College (Taunton), The Maynard School (Exeter), Teignmouth Community School, St James School (Exeter), Gillingham School (Dorset), Chulmleigh College, Clyst Vale Community College, Torquay’s Girls Grammar and more.
Mansons Guitar Shop, Time+Space, Integrity Records